Saturday 27 October 2007

Thanks Dad!


My dad (in the picture he's the one on the left - not the one wielding the gun looking thing, or the hairy one on all fours) came over today to help Steve and Omar with the Pergola.
I also asked him to help me out. My dad is an expert on many things. Including but not limited to: Old Testament Theology, Dispensationalism, Cars and all things relating to, and Abraham Lincoln. He is also an expert on hymns greater than 200 years old, filled with deep theology and words no one understands like "bulwark" and "ebeneezer" and sung at an exceedingly slow pace.
I have had one of the aforementioned hymns in my head for about 2 weeks. In school around Thanksgiving we always sang this one song - and all I could remember was ".....gather together....ask the Lord's blessing - dadadaaaaaa ddaa da the wicked oppressing now cease from distressing... dada da He forgets not His own."
It was driving me mad. So much so that I almost went into a music store and hummed it for someone to get some closure.
Luckily for me Mr. Old Hymn man knew it!
"We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing;
he chastens and hastens his will to make known;
the wicked oppressing now cease from distressing:
sing praise to his Name, he forgets not his own."
You can hear the tune, in all its midi glory, here:

1 comment:

Emily said...

Aww...what a sweet "testament" to your father. Get it? Testament? I'm funny, darnit. Listened to Kristin yet?