Tuesday 19 June 2007

Where was I before the day - I first saw your lovely face?


Today's been a rough day on all kinds of levels. I have one of the worst headaches I've had in a LONG time. Madeline's been whiney (that third tooth is seriously taking its sweet time!). And, I just find myself sad.




I cheered myself up by reading some old e-mails from my husband while Madeline napped. As all new parents know, your life just gets so consumed with the baby that you have to try extra hard to make time for each other - to cherish and go out of your way for each other. My husband is REALLY good at the little things. He'll hide little notes where I'll see them - in my wallet or my car or he'll add funny things to my grocery list. Yesterday he brought me home a beautiul flower arrangement that we put on the table. He's really an amazing man.




One of my favourite things to do is to remember what things were like way back at the beginning. Back when we were all awkward with each other and trying not to let on that we liked each other too much. ;) Reading back through those e-mails just filled me with the nervous happiness I felt whenever I got to see him. I could literally tell you what I was wearing the first time we were in the car together (jeans and a blue and green striped shirt). I remember exactly where we were when he first held hands (in the drive through at Arbys on 96th street in his old Camero). It makes me smile just thinking about it.




I don't think about those times enough - I get caught up in this druge - chores, diapers, baby weight.....and yet - all I ever wanted while we were dating was to have a home - and a family with this man. Now I have it!




Recently we went to an outing with Ball State to an Indians Game downtown. We first met at an Indians game so it was very very special for us to be back. We haven't been back since that day. I was gushing the whole time and even made him take a picture with me in the very place I had had a picture taken of my friends and me the day we met. I told him that while we were getting our pic taken (by one of his coworkers) I was looking at him the whole time.




After the game (ok so we left during the 6th inning because - let's face it baseball can get booooring) we walked down to the circle and got some chocolate from South Bend Chocolate and sat and ate it on the stairs of the church on the circle. We had sat there before one night when we went to a launch for IndyDine. We talked for hours even though it was freezing that night. After that we made our way back toward the car but saw an old movie playing outside the Historical Society. There were lots of people there with blankets. We sat and watched for a while and then walked around the canal a little - right behind a family with a beautiful dog and daughter. It was wonderful....




It seems in life we're never happy with where we are. When Steve and I were first hanging out - I just wanted to know if he liked me, then when I knew that I wanted to know if he loved me, then I wanted to know if we were going to get married. Thornton Wilder once said that we should "enjoy our ice cream while its on our plate."


because now I feel that I'd love to go back and relive those first days....




I'm so happy with our life now. Our gorgeous baby girl looks just like him and I'm glad to have a piece of him with me all day.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

ahhhh...that was sweet :)