Tuesday 26 June 2007

Rock um Sock um or My husband is not a weeble wobble

I remember when I was little one Christmas I got this large inflatable egg shaped....thing with a weight at the bottom that would allow you to hit it and it would just sort of POP back up allowing itself to be subject to many senseless beatings.

and I loved it!

I can remember spending many an hour in my room kicking and hitting at this infatable egg only to have it always spring back up - same grin on its painted face.

I managed to find a small version of one of these fashioned after Munch's Scream. I never took my angst out on it though - which is odd as it is seen as the iconoclast of modern angst.

But I digress.

There are people in my life (namly my husband) who I seem to think are my modern day inflatable Weeble Wobbles. It seems that the person we love the most always gets the brunt of our misplaced anger, fatigue, stress etc. It's made me wonder why that is....the person whom we decided to forsake ALL others for.....we so often abuse.


I guess it's because we know they'll just POP back up again. I wouldn't dare treat my girlfriends that way - or they wouldn't be friends for long. I wouldn't even treat a stranger that way. But the person I love the most...is the person that I know will ALWAYS be there. I can abuse him a little (ok a lot) and know he's not going to "break up" with me or not want to be my friend anymore. He's not going to take his proverbial ball and go home. He has to live with me - the good, the bad and the ugly. So naturally he's the one who takes the most abuse.

I'm not putting myself down - it is at times a two way street.....it's something everyone does. The person you love the most takes the most abuse as well. I wouldn't hesitate a nanosecond to hop in front of a bus to push him out of the way. But I seem to be all to willing to send a few buses at him of my own. It's not fair.

"Weebles Wobble but they don't fall down"

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A very insightful metaphor...

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I find myself doing the same thing to Kyle. Something for me to think about...

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.