Monday 25 June 2007

AFI I am not

Steve and I watched the AFI "Best Movies" the other night. It was a top 100 list of the Best movies ever made. We only caught like the last 30 - but I was a little disappointed. To Kill a Mockingbird came in 25 (boo) while some silent movie by Charlie Chaplin was like tenth. I did agree with their first and second choices. Second was The Godfather. First was....Citizen Kane. both fantastic movies. My husband only saw the Godfather like 6 months ago! I thought men saw that movie in utero! He hasn't seen Citizen Kane though - so I picked that up from the library today. "Roooooosebud."

So - in that vein I thought I'd finally (yes I know everyone was waiting with bated breath) divulge some of my favourite movies and my favourite quotes in them.

I have to say that my all time favourite movie of any genre is Dead Poets Society. But I'm an English teacher - the movie is the touchstone of English teachers. segue...the best gift my students ever gave me was...the class of 2004. I was especially close to them in that I was a sponser as well as their Lit teacher (and drama and cheerleading). On graduation day they gave me a picture of all of them standing on top of their desks with the caption "O Captain My Captain." I BAWLED!!! To this day it it one of my prized posessions and holds a prominent place on our livingroom bookshelf.

SO - that is my favourite movie.
"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race and the human race is full of passion. Business,law, medicine, engineering, these are all noble persuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love . . . these are what we stay alive for!"

My favourite humerous movie is probably Waiting for Guffman. (A spinoff of Beckett's classic play Waiting for Godot) If you are familiar with Christopher Guest (think the 6 fingered man in The Princess Bride) you know that his mockumentaries are HILARIOUS! None of the quotes really make sense unless you're watching the movie but I'll share anyway....

"People don't like fire poked...poked in their noses. Poked...poked..."

"Here we have a Remains of the Day lunchbox. Kids hate eating lunch, but if they have a Remains of the Day lunchbox they're a lot happier."

"We consider ourselves bi-coastal if you consider the Mississippi one of the coasts."

"I'm working on my cockney accent....you know..'ello ow are ou."


My favourite weird dark (I mean DARK) depressing movie would have to be The House of Yes. (Which also stars Parker Posey of "Guffman" fame."

"Goo is what tape's all about. Goo is what makes it tape and not PAPER."

(Leslie signs "I love you") "Don't leave this girl alone with any handsome deaf mutes Marty - that's my advice to you!"

"Pennsylvania! Pennsylvania's just this state that gets in the way when you're trying to get somewhere else!"

"Does your fiance work in a doughnut shop?"
"A doughnut king actually."
"Wow, so is she like the queen? Are we entertaining royalty here?"
"She's more of a .....dougnut lady in waiting."
"So, she's a marginal doughnut figure."

"No, Peter and I have nothing in common. You and I, Marty, have a lot in common; parents, dna, bone structure. "

Ok, my hands are cramping and I've wasted enough time...

No comments: