Monday 30 July 2007

Beyond the Pale

When I was a teenager, I was obsessed with how I looked. It didn't matter if I was going to the grocery store or the prom, I had to do my hair and makeup. It never really wore off - probably because of my typical insecurities I didn't want to go "out" without looking "good."

But - sometimes it just doesn't matter.

Even though the evil gallstones are gone, Steve is sicker than ever. Today he had a glass of water, a bite of apple, and a few bites of mini wheats. He isn't complaining about his insisions, he's been complaining about how horrible his stomach feels. I tried to call the surgeons office today - to no avail. No call back.

Tonight, after FINALLY getting crankypants baby down to sleep Steve ventured downstairs for a few minutes. I had just taken the dogs out when I came in to find him getting sick in the sink. That was it for me, I called the Dr on call who happened to be our surgeon. He prescribed an anti-nausea medication at the closest 24 hour pharmacy - 14 miles away. So I take off at about 9:30 at night to the CVS. Only when I walked in did I realize I hadn't even glanced in the mirror at myself. As I stepped up to the pharmacy counter I realized I had the following items on my clothing:

Spitup (Madeline's)
Spitup (Steve's)
A Noodle (?)
A piece of cheese (shredded, not like a slice :)
Crust of crookneck squash
Milk

My hair was in a clippy AND a hair tie and I even had white zit cream on my Vesuvious on my face. I stood there like an idiot - But I didn't have time to care. My poor sick dehidrating husband was at home with a baby he wasn't allowed to lift. I managed to cover the zit cream with the compact I keep in my purse, but there was no helping the rest of me.

Probably good for me - to end up out in public looking my absolute worst so I'll have a bit more perspective on my self esteem.

It's amazing that just when you think you are holding things together by the thinnest of strings, you see you can walk an even tighter rope.

No comments: