Tuesday 22 May 2007

Spare Change

Sometimes, when I'm up to my armpits in babydom - I stop and tdhink about my crazy life and how much it's changed.

I found my Senior yearbook and it said my goals were to become a Shrink. ha ha! i remember when that's what I wanted. I didn't always know I wanted to be a teacher - it was really one AMAZING teacher that inspired me into the profession. Don't get me wrong, I had a host of English teachers that I loved. My high school Englis teacher was young and hip and tried to make literature applicable to us. A prof I had at IUPUI found out we had a similar love of transcendentalist writers. We've stayed in touch since I took his class in 1999. But when I met Becky - my creative writing teacher - she immediatly nspired something inside me. She believed in my from the getgo and I went out of my way to take every class she taught. I remember the COUNTLESS hours she spent with me helping me diagram Compound-complex sentences. We've stayed in really good contact over the years. She really is the reason I became a teacher. I told myself that if I could impact one person the way she impacted me - I would die content. I had a lot of students that I felt I connected with - but there were a few that I felt I had really touched - and who touched me as well.

I even have one former student who just graduated a week ago with a degree in English Education. She is going to be a fantastic teacher and I couldn't be more proud of her. I was able to have an impact on her life because another teacher had an impact on mine. It's amazing to be a part of that chain.

Now, I have the opportnity to impact someone waaaay more than I did with my students.
That's wicked scary. I constantly feel like I'm failing - yet I want to act like I have it all together - even when no one is around. It's almost like I'm afraid she's going to figure out that I don't know what I'm doing.

I hope someday to go back to teaching - it's just in my blood - too much a part of me to completly leave behind.


~~~WHEW~~~ deep stuff....

Let's lighten it up.... I am in LOVE with the Hillshire Farms commercials. you know - the GO MEAT ones?! I'm like saying that whenever I'm happy. Steve keeps saying "Why are you saying go meat?" So I showed him the commercial online. I would love a shirt that said "Go meat!" Maybe I shall write the HF people and ask them for one. I'd be a walking billboard.

Let's have an OUR TOWN moment..... I was thinking this one whilest picking strawberries from our garden tonight.

"Some people just aren't meant for small town life."

I used to think this...ha ha - one more thing that's changed.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I, too, love Our Town. I was in it in high school, in fact. I played Rebecca, George's younger sister. I will always remember how right in the middle of the graveyard scene, the umbrella that the guy next to me was holding over me, completely collapsed on us. Nothing like a huge umbrella collapsing to completely ruin the feeling of that scene! BTW...it took me awhile to figure out whose blog this was, but I finally did it! The switch confused me. Glad to see you check out Gabby's blog here and there. Take care!

The Carrels said...

I was thinking about what I wanted to be when I grew up the other day...and I can't remember what it was...hmmmm...a nurse - no not a fan of bodily fluids; an accountant - nope, not good with numbers; a farmer - not so much, the smell of farms is craptastic...I seriously can't remember what is was I wanted to be when I grew up...

Oh, and this "Our Town" you're obsessing about...I need to see it or read it or something...