Monday 21 May 2007

Notes on Notes

Have you ever noticed how certain music just makes you stop in your tracks. There are certain pieces of music that, if I hear....I can barely keep doing what I'm doing.

One - is Ave Maria (which I am listening to right now - the Shubert) which is interesting considering I'm not Catholic. I used to HATE HATE HATE this song as a kid. I would complain to my mom if ever I heard it. THEN I heard Yo Yo Ma play it....and it changed everything.

Speaking of Yo Yo - that bring me to number

Two - Bach's Prélude from Suite No. 1 in G Major for Cello
I don't remember the first time I heard this - but I remember noticing it on an episode of the West Wing when Yo Yo Ma played for a Congressional dinner - he played this and it just brought tears to my eyes. It's quick and light - but so amazing. Yo Yo Ma is seriously the most amazing cellist in the world! Yo Yo Ma Rules! (Ohhhh that would be so cool on a t-shirt!)

Three - Rachmaninoff's Third Piano Concerto - first movement
I remember the first time I heard this tune I was so obsessed with it I sat down at my piano until I could pick it out. It took forever-ever.

There's more that I love....but these are the ones that just enrapture me. And OF COURSE I like other genres as well...in fact - THE song that makes me the most ecstatic is.... "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds. :)

No comments: