Friday 7 December 2007

Friend across the Miles


I posted my same little rant that I posted here yesterday on my facebook page and got quite the reply from my old friend Betsy. We were kindred spirits in College - both vegetarians, both a little off the beaten path, loved the arts.

She ended up moving abroad and now lives in Edinburgh. (Not the outlets down south) :)


We are now very different in some of our political beliefs and she was sooooooooo worried that she had offended me. That made me sad. It's terrible that 2 people couldn't be friends who had opposing beliefs isn't it? I am certainly not an expert in any field (ok, maybe John Milton and Charlie the Unicorn) so I am always welcome to dialogue. Especially now that my days seem to be filled with poopy diapers and teething tablets. It's because of reading and researching and talking to people differently than myself that I have changed my mind on lots of things. For instance, I never thought someone could really pull off the 80s slouch boots - but I have a friend who TOTALLY rocks them!

I have my core beliefs - my convictions - but I have a lot of things that I vacillate on - for which I enjoy sharp dialogue. I don't ever want to live in a word where we couldn't oppose each other and still like each other.

Love ya Bets! I'll always remember our good times on 2nd floor!

No comments: