Tuesday 11 September 2007

The Woods are Lovely, Dark and Deep

So, as many of you know, I am slowly becoming a "country girl." And by Country Girl I mean we're 30 minutes from the nearest Mall and Target. And, the local school has "tractor day" in the fall.
I used to work downtown Indianapolis and it was nice to enjoy both city and country life. But now, most of my days are spent in this little town, and I find myself very happy.

The other night we heard howling in the backyard. We've heard it a lot. Around the 4th of July when fireworks were in full bloom, we heard yipping in the backyard. Steve kept trying to convince me it was coyotes, but I knew it was just dogs.

But then, the other night, we heard the same sound. Steve took off like a shot - determined to see these alleged coyotes. I went after him, and we found ourselves peering out the patio door. He flicked on the outside flood lights and - . . . nothing.

I peered out another window when I heard him call me back. "Look over there by the garden!" And, there was a HUGE coyote. It was almost the size of our Lab. Poking through our garden and heading toward the neighbors' house.

I was freaking out. I got the big stick out of the sliding door. What was I going to do with it? Ida know... it just made me feel better to have a big stick in my hand.

Then our neighbor dog, Ben, comes tearing through his yard- into ours and goes running after the coyote - which actually turned out to be a coyote AND his brother. Ben nipped it in the leg, and scared it/them away.

I kept holding the stick. You know, just in case.

We went upstairs and camped out on our balcony for a while. We could see their glowing eyes when we'd shine our flashlights into the backyard. We got caught up in talking, and realized that the coyotes were gone - back to their lair in the woods.

I really have fallen in love with living here in Pendleton. Who would have thought that I'd have to worry about backyard coyotes?

Anyone know where I can get a good roadrunner/

Meep Meep!

1 comment:

Shyla said...

thank God i'm a country boy!!!!!! ahem...girl!!