Tuesday 27 May 2008

Didn't leave nobody but the baby




We discovered this little nest under our balcony. It made a nest awfully low in our climbing vines by where we keep the wood. I was hooking up Madeline's sprinkler and decided to trim some of the dead vines when I saw this little nest. I immediately backed away so that Momma bird could return. I pointed it out to Steve and we both worried that I had scared her away.


BUT - we saw her the next day, sitting happily on top of her babies -to -be. (phew) There are 4 little eggs in there that I just can't wait to watch hatch! I don't know what type of bird it is so I have decided it is a Mockingbird since they are my favourite.

"Shoot all the jaybirds you want if you can hit 'em. But don't you shoot a mockingbird. It's a sin to kill a mockingbird."


I am now checking on her every day and am afraid either the dogs or I will scare her away!
In the pictures you can see if you really look. In the second picture you can see the nest at the top of where the vines are. The third is really blurry, but shows the eggs well.
I don't know why such a small thing like a bird's nest is giving me so much joy but - oh well.

1 comment:

Emily said...

So glad you clarified what I supposed to be looking at because I kept staring at those pictues thinking, "Nice wooden post. Nice wooden post in the ground. Nice groundcover. What the heck am I supposed to be seeing in these photos?!?! Oh! A blurry nest of eggs." JK! How cool that Madda will get to see new life right in her backyard!