Monday 12 May 2008

Bookie

I know I haven't been the best about writing in this blog. I don't really have a good reason. I could say I am busy, but I am no busier than usual. I do think the nice weather has a little to do with it. Why hole up inside when Madeline and I can be outside chasing ducks or playing with rocks? Perhaps it's because the few things that have been on my heart aren't exactly lighthearted, ergo they don't seem like nice light things to blog about.

On another note, I've been tearing through my reading list like nobody's business. I have some book recommednations that are absolute must reads! Others that almost made me die of boredom...

1. The Poisonwood Bible
I am a little late to the game here, as it was Oprah's book club book like 10 years ago. I don't know what even possessed me to pick it up. But it was SO GOOD! It's long, but it took me under a week to read. It's the story of a conservative religious family who spends one year in the Congo in Africa. A husband, wife and 4 daughters take turn narrating the book which gives it a nice perspective and keeps the pace up. I can't put my finger on why I liked this book so much, but it was a life changer.

2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
This was a recommendation from my librarian. I am SO glad she told me to read it. I would put it as a "top 5" greatest reads of mine of all time. I want to read it again as it's sort of like the movie "Crash." It'll make better sense and I'll love it even more the second time around. It's about a child whose father dies on 9/11 and he's working through both his grief, and a little mystery that his father leaves behind. Gripping is the one word I would use to describe it.

3. A Wolf at the Table
This is a Burroughs book. I've read all of his books (except Sellevision which is on order for me at my library) A memoir of his Father. It's hard to believe that people grow up so terrible here in the United States. It made me want to hug my dad, and to thank him for what a great father he was.

4. No Country for Old Men
I wanted to read this before I saw the movie. It's the first McCarthy book I've read and was prepared to have my mind blown. Instead I was having to pump myself up to keep turning the pages. First, it's set in the West which always turns me off. It's also told in 3 voices which is fine, but it doesn't tell you whose voice is whose. Perhaps he was following in the steps of James Joyce, but Ulysses this is not...

5. The Blessing of Skinned Knee: Using Jewish Teachings to Raise Self Reliant Children
I *HEART* THIS BOOK. It is the best parenting book out there in my opinion. In an age when every child rearing book is telling you too look at your child's throwing a tantrum as a good thing, to make every chore a game, to hardly ever tell them no - this book was refreshing! She not only goes against the grain, but tells WHY she does - which I love. (e.g. Don't try to make every single hard thing your child does fun. - Picking up clothes, picking up toys, waiting patiently. Instead, let them know that there are certain things that are expected of them, like picking up their toys, and they will not be rewarded for it. It's simply something you do as part of your family and out of respect for your parents.) This is something every parent should read!

6. Rich Dad, Poor Dad - What the rich teach their children about Money, and what the poor and middle class do not.
I got this because of the title. My husband snatched it away from me and read it right away. He has proselytized the book to nearly everyone we know. It's a slow start, but full of good principles that may not seem like the "normal" ways to teach your children about money.

7. The Year of Magical Thinking
This is a book about a woman's life during the year after her husband's death. I thought it would be splendid - a memoir about grief and healing. I couldn't follow it and it seemed more like a college lecture than reading material. I didn't finish this one...

8. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
This is a memoir by the former French Editor of (I believe) Vogue magazine. He experienced a terrible stroke and then "Locked in" syndrome. Wherein, he could only blink one eye. That was the only way he could communicate with someone. A nurse took it upon herself to come up with an extraordinary way to let him "speak" with his eyelid. It's unreal.... a true tale of persistence and what it so enjoyable about life. A movie was made last year by the same name and they did a great job with it in my opinion.

That's all for now....I actually have a baby in bed and a husband out of the house so I mustn't waste any more time!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for the great recommendations! I FINALLY finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter this week and just started Eat, Pray, Love. Have you read that one yet? I hear good things about it and so far, so good!

starfitch said...

I have no idea how you find time to do that much reading! I'm finally reading Water for Elephants right now.

Stephanie said...

I loved the Year of Magical Thinking, Rich Dad Poor Dad is interesting too. I am reading the Murder of Helen Jewett (non-fiction) about the murder of a prostitute--the first murder to be sensationalized in the press.

Anonymous said...

OOOO thanks for the recomms girls! Maybe I need to give Year of Magical Thinking another chance!

I have Eat Pray Love on my reading list at the library. There are like 10 holds on it!

As for time to read..... I do all my reading before bed. I stay up too late oft times but I read instead of watching tv most nights. Unless supernanny is on of course!


erin