Wednesday 19 March 2008

If it ain't broke...

I just read the best article over at Babble.com. It's a site I frequent often because they have very witty and informative articles for parents. This article was about how much money today's parents are spending on their children. If its not toys, then it's music lessons and horseback riding, gynastics and ice hockey, private school tuition and private tennis lessons. This article explores why today's parents, "Spend their 529 at Target." It's a must read if you ask me.

I love the commercial on right now (it's some bank, I don't remember which) where you see a guy in a older model car saying goodbye to his colleague in a nice car and then going home. The narration says that yes, I could be spending my money on things I want, but there are more important things in life to save for. At the end you see his wife with a cute little baby bump. It makes me happy to see a commercial unlike every other one we see encouraging us to buy buy buy! It makes me feel just a little bit vindicated for not overindulging my child. Truth is, YES I feel guilty when I don't buy her the latest and greatest of everything, but I know we're preparing for her future as well. It's all about balance. It's not so hard now, but it'll be hard not to feel like a "bad" parent when I am the only one who doesn't have my child in 4 different sports with private instructors, 3 different types of music lessons, and the latest ipod by the time she's 5. But that's ridiculous. I want to teach her temperance and appreciation for all she DOES have. I want her to get involved in giving to children in need, instead of the focus always being on her.

The article quotes one woman as saying, "My husband and I were just talking about this with friends. You can make $300,000 a year and you're just getting by. You're not saving anything,"

300,000 a year and "just getting by" !!! How does this happen??

I didn't realize how fortunate I was to have my parents pay for my entire college education. (I know I know.....) I didn't realize what a blessing it was to graduate from college debt free. Steve and I may not be able to or want to do that for Madeline, but at least we've tried to think ahead as to what was best for her. Granted, you can go too far the other way too - I'm not saying she should play with cardboard boxes and toilet paper rolls because every dime goes to her future. (We just bought her this and I'm very jazzed, though it's more a present for us than her!)

It just feels good to read an article that extolls the virtues of not only telling your child "no" once in a while, but being good stewards of what you have, and teaching them to your children.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said my friend. The article was wonderful!

Kels