Wednesday 13 February 2008

Fashion I can't belive is still acceptable or If you must wear fur please don't let it touch me

Yesterday my dear husband and I celebrated Valentines Day. We decided to "beat the rush" and go out early. My mom came up to babysit so we could go out.



Too bad I accidentally poisoned him with my chili. He ate it Monday night and I don't think he came to bed the whole night he was so sick... I felt terrible! (Especially since I didn't eat any myself) I kept telling him we should cancel our evening out but he insisted we forge ahead. (Surprise surprise to anyone who knows my husband). We were going to go to Outback, but decided to go to Chilis instead since he wasn't really in the mood to eat.



Afterwards we went to Emens Auditorium at Ball State and saw "Evita." I didn't know what to expect as I had never seen it. We got settled into our seats (which were fantastic!) and right after the lights dimmer I realized I felt something hairy touching my leg. Hmmmm.....



I knew it wasn't my husband so I started groping around to see what it was. I finally latched on to a handful of what looked to be Mink.



Ok, first of all, it's Ball State people, not Broadway.



Secondly - Do people still really wear fur?



I've always been anti-fur, but especially since my Junior year of high school when I did a research paper on animal rights. I couldn't believe the laws (or lack thereof really) regarding how animals were treated who were only being raised for their skin (or our dinner tables for that matter). I remember my mom supporting me, until she saw the pile of cashmere and angora sweaters that were destined for Goodwill. I mellowed out a little when I realized that at least the animals weren't killed for their fur, as other animals were.



I just thought it todays day and age that 99.9 percent of all people felt that wearing fur was cruel and disgusting - not to mention , most of it is UGLY!



But whatever, as much as I wanted to get my red pen out and sneak "FUR IS DEAD" onto the back of the coat (my paint can was at home) I know this lady has a RIGHT to wear whatever she wants. She also has the right to wear her hair so big that I have to sit on my knees like a 5 year old to see over it.



What I hated is that I couldn't get away from it. I shifted, I sat on one leg, I crossed and uncrossed - I sat like a man- and still it was drifting down on me like a Yeti snowfall.

At least the performance was good. Rather - outstanding. I wasn't sure I'd like it going in - but it was just beyond wonderful. The young girl who played Evita was truly out of this world and I suspect she'll be quite famous someday. I pretty much annoyed Steve all the way home singing my own little variations of "Don't cry for me, Argentina." (Complete with arm raising and fake crying.)

What a trooper...

2 comments:

starfitch said...

First of all...he got sick on chili and you made him go to Chilis???? Irony much?

I would love to see Evita. Now that you've seen it on stage, watch the movie version with Madonna. Wonderful! I think I even have the soundtrack...

Emily said...

The Madonna soundtrack IS pretty good. The whole show has some strange music in it, although Don't Cry For Me Argentina has always been one of my favorites. I suck at playing it on the piano since it is in such a weird time signature, but I always TRY...and that's what counts really, right?

So jealous of your evening out. Steve is a wonderful man for making your "couple" time a priority. Tell him that tonight before you go to bed.