Tuesday 26 February 2008

Everything we need right here and everything we need is enough

I have to officially say that my husband is Superman. He had been taking care of Madeline and me nonstop since Thursday! I'd been ordered to bed with no real choice about the whole thing. He took lots of time off work, made all the meals, did all the cleaning, even took Madeline to the doctor and held her during the helacious screaming that comes with the Doctor looking in her ear. (Ear infection!) He hasn't complained or grumbled ONCE! He's constantly checking on me to see if I need anything, bringing me breakfast and snacks in bed. He brings Madeline in for little visits and knows when I've had too much.

My parents kept Madeline overnight the first night, but Steve's been Momma and Daddy both since then. It's hard enough taking care of her all day - especially when she's sick and grouchy - but 2 of us that way can just be plain awful!

I know not all men are like that. He's been so loving and supportive, I hardly know how to begin to thank him. He, on the other hand, won't let me take care of him when he's sick, so it's not like I can exactly return the favour......but I do think some paella is in order!

Sometimes, we "old married folk" can get caught up in what each other does wrong, or in better words - not the way WE would do it. He did as good a job (or better actually) taking care of Madeline as I do AND was able to get other stuff done as well. I don't tell him enough that I appreciate everything he does. I am very very fortunate.

I don't get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls brought me here
And where was I before the day that I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know
That I am....The luckiest

What if I'd been born fifty years before you?
In a house on a street where you lived?
Maybe I'd be outside as you passed on your bike-Would I know?
And in a white sea of eyes I see one pair that I recognize
And I knowThat I am.... The luckiest

I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you


Next door there's an old man who lived to his nineties
And one day passed away in his sleep
And his wife; she stayed for a couple of daysAnd passed away
I'm sorry, I know that's a strange way to tell you that I know we belong
That I knowThat I am The luckiest

1 comment:

Nate, Kris, Adrianna and Natalie said...

Oh, what a sweet husband. I'm so sorry you've been so sick. I can't even imagine being in bed with a little toddler running around. Good to know she's in such good hands.