Wednesday 11 February 2009

Tragedy

I always wanted a red balloon
it only cost a dime
But Ma said it was risky
They broke so quickly
And besides she didn't have time
and even if she did
She didn't think they were worth a dime
We lived on a farm and only went
to one circus and fair
And all the balloons I ever saw
were there
There were yellow ones and blue ones
But the ones I liked best
were red
And I don't see why she couldn't have stopped and said
That maybe I could have one
But she didn't
I supposed that now
You can by them anywheres
And that they still sell red ones
At circuses and fairs
I have a little money now
I have a lot of time
I have noone to tell me how and where
and when to spend my dime
Plenty of balloons
But somehow -
there's something died inside of me
And I don't want one
now.


Jill Sparger

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember this poem!!! I had forgotten about it. I remember you had it up on your door and it made me cry!

Kels