Wednesday 12 November 2008

Fit for a queen! or...King




My husband and I recently took a wonderful trip to Hilton Head Island in South Carolina. Our parents kept Madeline and we got to enjoy long days at the beach, moonlight walks, shopping, and best of all - naps! We were blessed with a large King-sized bed to enjoy. We have a Queen size in our Master bedroom so it was a nice little (or not so little) extra!

What I realized was that I could sleep the entire night without once knocking into my husband. If you ask him, he will tell you I have "jimmy legs" which sometimes actualy morphs into "Jimmy arms" as well. Every day we have to tuck the sheet and duvet back in because of my nightly ballet. But in this - this paradise of space we didn't disturb each other a bit.

I was all the sudden jealous of all my friends who had king-sized beds. My husband could sleep through the night, and I could do my triple axles in peace. However, I am an "edge of the bed" sleeper. No matter how big or small the bed is, I always snuggle right up to the edge. Steve said he spent a few minutes each night, fishing around in the enormous bed trying to find me. Although we're sleeping, the 8 (ok 6 in his case) hours in our bed is the most time we get together and - though it may keep him from perfect REM, I like knocking into him on occasion throughout the night. On the rare occasion I have the bed to myself, I can't sleep right. I need his cold feet and his sleep noises. I like knowing my best friend in the world is merely inches away. Though I will always enjoy the vacations to Lots of Legroom Land, I'm content for now, being a queen.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

how sweet..we have a Queen too!

Emily said...

Aww...so sweet. What IS it with men and their cold feet? My husband's size 14's add extra cold to our bed!