Thursday 9 October 2008

Less is More

My husband turned me on to a Hemmingway story I've never heard before. I'm not the biggest Hemmingway fan . . . The Old Man and the Sea turned me off pretty quickly . . .

I was intrigued because he told me that one of Hemmingway's friends accused him of being too verbose, and challenged him to write a story in only 6 words.

In my Creative Writing classes in college I had a professor who made us write stories with only one syllable words, or make everyone start their story with the same line. I thought these were tough! I don't feel I can express myself in a Haiku let alone 6 words. So - here it is - Hemmingway's little masterpiece. I wouldn't have believed you could effectively communicate an entire story (let alone rising and falling action and denumount) in six words.
I stand corrected.


For Sale. Baby Shoes. Never Worn.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Maybe the shoes weren't ever worn because the story was really about a baby with huge feet. Poor huge-footed baby. Or not.